So you can imagine Colin's excitement when that's all I've wanted to talk about for the past year or so. I would always ask, "What's your favorite girl name...or boy name?" He would always reply, "I don't really want to talk about it until we get pregnant." Finally, we got pregnant. And then it was "I really don't want to talk about it until we know the pregnancy sticks." And then, "We should wait until we know it's a boy or a girl." SO FRUSTRATING! I want to fight over baby names, Colin. Jeez, why don't you get this?!?!
Lucky for me, he gave in a few times over the past few months, and we easily decided on a boy name: Henry.
And then of course the Dr told us that he was 90% sure we are having a girl (we're going back on Monday to confirm this). And then we drew a blank. We could not come up with a name that we both loved for more than a day or so. And then there's something that was always in the back of my mind. Let's all be honest, there's a fine line between a cool girl name and a stripper name. There. I said it. :)
Some people gave their input on names, but we really wanted the name to come from us. We didn't want anyone else laying claim to naming our child. We were given some great suggestions: Greta (from my cousin Kelli - cute but not for this little babe), Evan (reminds me of an awkward teenage boy), Wesley (which we actually considered), Olivia (somehow Colin's dad slipped this one in...it's Colin's mom's name), and Colleen (sounds a lot like Colin to me). Ha! :)
We're very appreciative of all the suggestions we've received, and we've finally come up with a baby girl name. Well, the baby book came up with it. One night I tossed the baby book on Colin's lap (he was not too pleased, it's a pretty heavy book, whoops) and told him to get crackin' on some ideas. He started with the letter A. And he said,
"What about Aidan?"
My heart fluttered. I sat up straight. I like it. I like it a lot. And then we knew. Aidan was going to be our baby girl's name. So there it is, if this little baby in my tummy is actually a female like they've predicted, she'll be named Aidan.
Awww, she's so pretty. :)
Stevie
I love the name! And I can totally relate to the feeling of not wanting someone else to name your baby. I am the same way! I think my mom thinks I am being mean, but every time a name is suggested, I make a mental not of a name crossed off the potential list! (c: Not in a mean way at all...just sayin'! Yeah for your precious little Aidan!!
ReplyDeleteLOVE it!
ReplyDeleteThanks girls!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd Jenni, I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one that feels this way. It's nice for people to give the suggestions, but we did the same thing - immediately move them to the "do not use" list. I felt horrible about it, but we really wanted the name to come from us. I guess I just think that everyone has a chance on naming a child when they have a baby, and this is our time. Ha! Yay!